Friday, July 25, 2014

Five Glass Slippers-Book Review

I was very happy to get Five Glass Slippers in the mail the other day, to my delight it was shipped quite quickly, and was a lot thicker than I had previously thought. I really enjoyed reading all the different Cinderella retellings, all the authors really did a marvelous job.


About: What happens when Cinderella is so painfully shy that she cannot bear the idea of attending the royal ball? Or when the slipper fits . . . but on the wrong girl? What happens when Cinderella is determined to oust an imposter prince from her rightful throne? Or when she is a cendrillon miner working from a space station orbiting a cthonian planet? What happens when Cinderella, a humble housemaid, is sent with a message for a prisoner trapped in a frightening fairy circus?

Here is Cinderella as you have never met her before, wearing glass slippers and off on unforgettable adventures!
From Goodreads

My Review:

"What Eyes Can See" by Elisabeth Brown: I really enjoyed this start to the collection. The Cinderella in this story is very sweet, and painfully shy. It was a very unusual take on the classic tale, with kind stepsisters and a caring stepmother, but it worked very well. I really enjoyed getting to know Arella, her sisters, and the prince. A very sweet story, with a surprising, but delightful ending.

"Broken Glass" by Emma Clifton: The main character in this story, Rosalind, is almost the exact opposite of the Cinderella in the first story. She is opinionated, stubborn, and not afraid of anything. It was great to read about a character with such a strong personality. I loved reading about the different love stories that wove together to make an exciting, and intriguing story. The setting was not all that clear, I believe that is was supposed to be sort of steampunk, and sort of fantasy, but the characters made up for that. I loved the twist at the end, (no spoilers here...) and I can't wait to discover what happens to all these lovely characters next.

"The Windy Side of Care" by Rachel Heffington: This Cinderella story was great. It was unique, exciting, and filled with the unexpected. I enjoyed getting to know Alisandra, a very capable girl who knew what she wanted, and was not afraid to do what needed to be done. I really enjoyed reading about her, and her attempts to reclaim her rightful throne. I loved the unexpected twist of the "fairy godmother" and the ending scene was quite good.

"A Cinder's Tale" by Stephanie Ricker: This story was by far my favorite. I loved Elsa and all her friends. I loved how all the classic elements were translated seamlessly into a beautiful science fiction universe. I especially loved the part about the trying on the "glass slipper", it made me laugh. It would be hard to tell that this was a Cinderella telling if you didn't know, and I really liked that. It was not like someone just chucked a painfully obvious retelling of Cinderella at your head. It was very tastefully done, and a wonderful read. I loved it, and cannot wait to read more in The Cendrillon Cycle when it is released in December.

"The Moon Master's Ball" by Clara Diane Thompson: The final story in the collection was my second favorite. I loved Tilly, the balance between her sweet, and hardworking personality, and her fears. Shaped her into a delightful character who was well rounded, believable, and very likeable. This story had a slightly haunting feeling to it, which was very beautiful. I loved that it was set in autumn, the crisp nights, and the pumpkin patches, made for a beautiful setting. I loved the element of forgiveness that was briefly explored, it was very sweet. All in all, it was a perfect ending to a delightful collection of varied tales.

Questionable Content: None

I give "Five Glass Slippers" ★★★★☆=I really enjoyed it.
______________________________________________________________________

Rating System:

                                               ☆☆☆☆☆=It was terrible! I didn't finish it.
                                               ★☆☆☆☆=I did not enjoy it.
                                               ★★☆☆☆=It was okay.
                                               ★★★☆☆=It was pretty good.
                                               ★★★★☆=I really enjoyed it.
                                               ★★★★★=It was Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment