Friday, July 11, 2014

Cinder-Book Review

Image Source

"Cinder" by Marissa Meyer
About: "Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl."

"Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future" -From Goodreads

My Review: I was quite skeptical when I first heard about this book. I thought, Cinderella as a cyborg? Now that's just weird. Later I saw a few good reviews for the book on different blogs, and that made me curious to see if the book was as good as they said it was. What made me decide to read the book was this beautiful fanart I discovered on Pinterest:

Image Source

This portrait looks nothing like what I imagined a cyborg would look like. Messy brown hair, and grease stains. It flipped my preconceived ideas on their head, and made me really want to read the book and get to know this interesting and unique girl/cyborg, and I'm glad I did. 

This book amazed me. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was, and it was a wonderful surprise. Marissa Meyer seamlessly blended together the classic fairytale of Cinderella, with a dystopian, post apocalyptic world, filled with technology, death, rust, and plague. Creating a beautiful and yet dangerous setting that was believable and interesting. While the fairytale was recognizable, the story was in no way cliched or predictable. Some of the small things that were tossed in there made me smile as I recognized them from the classic story. I loved Cinder's character, a strong, smart, talented, and interesting girl, who still had flaws. She was afraid, doubted herself, and went through some very rough times, but did not let that stop her from doing what she had to do. 

I am very excited to read the next books in the series! There are more reviews to follow.

Questionable Content: The descriptions of the plague were in depth, and not for the very queasy reader. There is swearing at one point in the book, but it is justified and not the worst. The romance in this book was very clean, with no kissing or anything. There is a bit of violence but nothing like something like "The Hunger Games" or "Divergent".

I give "Cinder" ★★★★★=It was Amazing!
______________________________________________________________________

Rating System:

                                               ☆☆☆☆☆=It was terrible! I didn't finish it.
                                               ★☆☆☆☆=I did not enjoy it.
                                               ★★☆☆☆=It was okay.
                                               ★★★☆☆=It was pretty good.
                                               ★★★★☆=I really enjoyed it.
                                               ★★★★★=It was Amazing!
______________________________________________________________________

This is my first book review on this blog, if you enjoyed it, or would like me to write more reviews in the future please let me know in the comments. Are there any specific books you would like me to review? Have you read "Cinder"? What did you think? 

12 comments:

  1. Please do share more review!

    Cinder really was a fantastic book. But Scarlett, the next one, was somewhat disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! I haven't forgotten about your request for a review of "Harry Potter", that one will be posted sometime soon.

      Really? Well I hope it's as good as the first one, if not, the third one looks pretty good too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I LOVED this book! It was such an intriguing idea and very well done.

    Your review was great. I'd love to see more! It's always wonderful seeing what other like-minded people enjoy reading. I'm constantly on the hunt for good books to read, so reviews are so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I enjoyed reading it, so, yes, do write more. :-D

    I really liked this book. And, though "Scarlet" did have some content I'd have rather there had not been, over all I thought it was more exciting. Currently I'm going through "Cress" slower than a turtle because, when it ends, the next one doesn't' come out until November 2015... Not ready to face that yet, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting for "Scarlet" to come in at the library forever! For some reason I'm expecting it to be worse than the first one, how can you follow up such an amazing first novel?

      Yeah I hate it when it takes forever for the next novel to come out. For a while I would only read classics and didn't have to face that problem. Now though I'm having to deal with that more and more, but it gives you a lot to look forward to I guess.

      Delete
    2. I would definitely not say it is worse. It gets darker and has more violence, but there is a lot of action and excitement. I don't think it is one of those disappointing sequels, so hopefully you'll like it once you get a hold of it. :-D

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you'll hear about what I think, when I get the book... :)

      Delete
  4. Random commenter here (okay, maybe not so random, my sister, Willa, reads your blog :)

    Enjoyed your review! I'd love to read more. :)

    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody's random, Emma. Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed my review, there's more coming. :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVED this book! The plot was well done in this novel and I could see small parts of the original Cinderella story peeking through the text.
    You're great reviewer! You should post more reviews!

    Carly @ Books and Etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell, I liked it too. Thank you! I'll be sure to do more in the future. :)

      Delete