Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Character Development Series-Favorite Song


What's your character's favorite song? Why? Does it have a special meaning to them? Do they like to sing along when their song comes on the radio, or do they just listen to it calmly? Does it make them want to get up and dance, or does it bring tears to their eyes? What's their favorite music genre? Do they like country, rock, oldies, pop, classical? Who's their favorite artist or their favorite band? Have they learned how to play their favorite song? What musical instrument do they play? Are they the kind of person who listens to one song on repeat, or can't stand to hear the same song twice in one day? When did they first hear their favorite song, where were they? What does their favorite song remind them of?

Don't forget to comment below and tell me all about your character's and their favorite songs! I always love to hear from you!

6 comments:

  1. My character Melissa's favorite song is 'One Headlight' by the Wallflowers. She will sing along to it and all the song she knows, and loves to dance. Repeats wouldn't bother her. She found an old C.D her father left behind and through that she found her favorite song and interest in classic rock. The song reminds her of her dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great song, and a great story behind the song. I hadn't heard the song before you mentioned it, so I looked it up, and I really enjoyed listening to it.

      Delete
  2. I don't come up with favorite songs for my characters (well, sometimes), but I do have what are almost theme songs for them. For instance, the main heroine of the novella I'm writing, her two songs are 'Once You Had Gold' and 'Amarantine', both by Enya.
    Do you do things like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I pick out theme songs for my characters, especially for my fantasy characters who have no access to a radio. The theme for Nadasa in TPOT is "Where are we going from here" by Blackmore's Night.

      Both of your songs are very neat, I listened to them both, and thought that they both had lots of story potential.

      Delete
  3. Cannon goes through a lot of favorite songs. It starts out as Some Nights by Fun, but later in the story he ends up really liking Every Time You Run by Manafest and then switches to Skillet. Whatever his current favorite is, he will put it as his phones ring tone, so he hears them over and over again. He doesn't really sing along, he just likes to have the noise going. He plays guitar, so he does sing a little when he does that. He'd rather not have anyone around for that though, so leading worship was not his cup of tea. He listens to mostly rock, but he likes some country songs like Life is A Highway and Won't Back Down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really neat. Cannon sounds like a really interesting character. I can tell that music is a large part of his life.

      Delete