Friday, August 22, 2014

Shatter Me-Book Review

Image Source

"Shatter Me" by Tahereh Mafi
About: "Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior." From Goodreads

My Review: I almost put this book down about halfway through, I think I could have just dropped it and moved on with my life without really missing anything. Though now that I've finished it I am interested to see what happens in the next book. The first part of this book was sort of interesting, but a bit slow. Juliette was in a prison cell thinking poetic, though strange, thoughts about the outside world. No really, some of them were really really weird and this continued through the whole book... Here's a few of them for an example:

"I'd like to cry into his eyes."
"There are 400 cotton balls caught in my windpipe."
"James and Adam glance back at me and I melt into pink Play-Doh."
"I offer him a smile. Try to keep my organs from falling out. Hope the holes in my head aren't showing."
"I'm blushing through my bones."

See what I mean? They make me want to facepalm, hard. Besides all these semi poetic weird descriptions scattered throughout the whole book, Juliette has this interesting curse/gift thing that causes her to inflict serious pain on anyone she touches. This intrigued me and was what made me pick up the book, but it really wasn't explored all that much. Near the end of the book something really exciting happens and I feel quite sure that her ability will be explored a lot more in the future books in this series. The ending saved this book for sure, if it wasn't for that twist, I would probably have hated this book. There was way too much questionable content in it for me. I will read the second one, but after that, if it doesn't get a lot better then I'm abandoning the series.

Questionable Content: There was a whole lot of kissing in this book, and I mean a whole awful lot. The characters never went all the way, but you could tell that they really wanted to. I didn't appreciate that, and wished they would have kept that to a minimum. There was also a lot of swearing, with most of it happening towards the end. As for violence, it wasn't terrible, but violence in books and movies doesn't really bother me normally. Some descriptions may bother younger readers as it got a bit graphic at times.

Because of all the questionable content, I give "Shatter Me" ★★☆☆☆=It was okay. However, I am looking forward to reading the next book. I think the future developments in this story have a lot of potential.
______________________________________________________________________

Rating System:

                                               ☆☆☆☆☆=It was terrible! I didn't finish it.
                                               ★☆☆☆☆=I did not enjoy it.
                                               ★★☆☆☆=It was okay.
                                               ★★★☆☆=It was pretty good.
                                               ★★★★☆=I really enjoyed it.
                                               ★★★★★=It was Amazing!
______________________________________________________________________

Have you read "Shatter Me"? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on reading it, or are you going to skip it? Whatever your opinion, please leave a comment, I always love hearing from you!

4 comments:

  1. I had the same feelings about Shatter Me. Though I didn't finish it. It's a great book review! :)
    I've nominated you for the Sunshine Award.

    Carly @ Books and Etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for the nomination, I'll get over to your blog and check it out. :)

      Delete
  2. I totally bought this book ages ago, but I haven't read it yet! It's that darn cover which drew me in. Preeeeetty ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really pretty cover, and the covers for the sequels are really pretty too. :)

      Delete