Sunday, August 10, 2014

Beautiful People August Edition-Thalia

It's time for Beautiful People again, this time it's the August edition! For those of you who don't know Beautiful People is a monthly set of questions to help me, and you, get to know my characters. Last month I participated in BP and answered the questions about my character Jastin from "The Paths of Thyme". The month before I answered the questions for Nadasa, also from "The Paths of Thyme". This month I will be answering the questions for Thalia Grey, Nadasa's caretaker and herbalist teacher. 

Image Source

1) What does your character regret the most in their life? Thalia regrets the many mistakes that she made in her past. Her greatest fear is that her past will catch up with her, and she has spent most of her life running from it.

2) What is your character's happiest memory? Most sorrowful memory? Thalia's happiest memory is the day her father took her to the castle archives where he worked and let her read anything she wanted. Her most sorrowful memory is the day she recovered from the plague only to discover that her entire family had not survived, and she was alone in the world.

3) What majorly gets on your character’s nerves? When people don't listen to her. She has a lot of wisdom to offer from many years of experience, specifically as an herbalist, but many times she has been silenced, especially for being a woman. Nadasa happens to be really good at getting on Thalia's nerves as well.

4) Do they act differently when they're around people as opposed to being alone? If so, how? Thalia feels the need to stay in control, to not let anything surprise her, or catch her off guard. Around people she is very cool, professional, and unshakable. When she is alone she lets the act slip, revealing that inside she really is the same scared little girl she was years ago, who makes mistakes, and doesn't always know what to do.

5) What are their beliefs and superstitions? (Examples: their religion or lack of one, conspiracy theories, throwing salt, fear of black cats.) Thalia used to be religious when she was young, but after her family died she turned her back on everything she used to believe in. Instead she dedicated her life to helping people, becoming a gifted herbalist, and saving many lives, though inside she has always felt empty.


Image Source Unavailable

6) What are their catchphrases, or things they say frequently? "As an herbalist and healer you have an obligation to any wounded person, or even animal. If you can save someone then you must, even if they are an enemy. Do not withhold life, for if you do so then you are worse than a murderer.”

7) Would they be more prone to facing fears or running from them? Thalia has run from her past her entire life, it is her greatest fear. She can handle anything life throws at her, except she is unable to face her past mistakes.

8) Do they have a good self image? No, Thalia has spent her whole life trying to make up for her past, but she has never felt good enough. She sees herself as no better than a murderer.

9) Do they turn to people when they're upset, or do they isolate themselves? She has Isolated herself so much that she is not even sure if she is physically capable of opening up to someone.

10) If they were standing next to you would it make you laugh or cry? Neither, I would just feel very bad for her, and try to help her work through her many issues. She is a very damaged character, but despite this she has tried her best to move on and better herself and the world. I believe this shows great strength, but no matter what she does she will never be able to move on unless she forgives herself and lets go of the past.


Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed getting to know Thalia. She plays a more minor role in "The Paths of Thyme" but still holds a special place in my heart. If you have any questions about Thalia, my book, or anything else, just leave your questions in the comments and I'll answer them as soon as I can. Have you participated in Beautiful People before? What did you think about this month's questions? I really enjoyed them, what about you?

8 comments:

  1. Sweet! I like her a lot. Seems like a lot of the bp posts this month have been about characters haunted by their past. I love it. I'm struggling with my bp post xp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really? That's an interesting coincidence. Which character are you planning on writing your BP post on?

      Delete
    2. Welcome :) yeah it was. I can't decide. I've got three main characters I could use between the beauty and the beast and dystopia stories I'm working on, but I can't think of answers for them xp they're harder this month haha

      Delete
    3. Yeah they are harder, but more helpful. :) Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love the sound of Thalia. Gotta love a character with a haunting past. And she's a healer too, which is even better. I have a strange love affair with characters of that profession.

    Goodness, you just reminded me that J haven't even started on my BP post for this month. I'd better get a move on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Exactly! I've always really liked characters of that profession as well. Though It can be pretty hard to write them at work realistically without going into gruesome details... Better get writing! I can't wait to read yours! :)

      Delete
  3. Thalia sounds cool! I love the name Thalia. I've participated in Beautiful People for the last few months. It's so fun. ^ ^

    Stori Tori's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Yeah, it is a ton of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete