Saturday, June 21, 2014

Summer Reading Plans

Happy first day of summer everyone! I have a huge list of books to read, but I've narrowed it down to ten books/series that I'm really excited to read this summer. Here are my summer reading plans:

1. The Harry Potter Series
Image Source

I'm sceptical about these but still hopeful. I've heard a lot of good, and a lot of bad about them. I finally decided to just read them myself, and decide what I think about them. 


2. Tales of Goldstone Wood Series
Image Source

I've seen this series talked about on lots of different blogs, and heard a lot of good things about them.I am very excited to read them this summer.


3. For Darkness Shows the Stars
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8306761-for-darkness-shows-the-stars
Image Source

I got this book for a great deal a while ago and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I love the cover, which is mostly why I ended up buying it, I'm just hoping the story is as good as the cover.


4. A Curse as Dark as Gold
Image Source

I got this book as a Christmas present from a good friend of mine. Books always make the best gifts in my opinion. This story is based on the story of Rumpelstiltskin and the miller's daughter which I have always found fascinating. I even have a story idea in the works, centered on the story of Rumpelstiltskin that I am very excited to write sometime in the near future. I hope to find some time to read this book this summer.


 5. Ruth-Loss, Love and Legacy
Image Source

This one is a bible study I will be participating in over the summer. I love Kelly Minter's other books, and am very excited to do one focused on Ruth, one of my favorite biblical characters. I love her loyalty to Naomi, "...Where you go, I will go..." 


 6. The Safe Lands Trilogy 
Image Source

I've also heard a lot about this series on different blogs. This series looks very interesting to me especially since it's set in a post apocalyptic setting, and is told from a christian perspective.


7. The Shack
Image Source

I've been meaning to read this one for a while, I've heard some amazing things about it, and plan to pick it up some time this summer.


8. Cinder
Image Source

When I first saw this book I was horrified. A book about cinderella as a cyborg! What?! What's with that? What's going on here? Since then I've heard a few very good reviews for this book, and decided to give it a try. It has an intriguing premise to it, and I'm very interested to see how it all works out.


9. The Book Thief
Image Source

This book sounds intriguing to me. A story narrated by death? I've heard lots of good things about it, and with the movie that came out recently, I decided that it would be a good idea to read it.


10. The Books of Pellinor Series
Image Source

Last year I found The Naming at the library book sale for a dollar, this year I found The Riddle for the same price. I haven't really heard much about this series, but I thought I'd give it a try since I already have the first two books, they sound pretty interesting, and they were such good deals.


What about you? What are your summer reading plans? Do you have any suggestions of books I should add to my list? Please let me know in the comments, I love hearing from you!

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I found "The Book Thief" written in a way that was annoying to read.
    "A Curse as Dark as Gold" was one of the best fairy-tale re-tellings I have ever read.
    I've also been somewhat skeptical about the Harry Potter books. I mean, they're witches and wizards. Write a view when you read them, please.

    And, what? You haven't read Tales of Goldstone Wood? You will LOVE THEM. I promise you, on my honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Book Thief" has an intriguing concept, but I can see how writing from death's point of view could backfire, since it is so unusual. That's good to hear, I can't wait to read "A Curse as Dark as Gold" now!

      Yeah I know, witches, wizards, dark magic, etc, but still they are so popular. I am very curious to find out what all the fuss is about. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to write a review on them when I finish them.

      Haha, great! I'm always looking for new favorite books!

      Delete
  2. Your summer reading list looks very similar to mine. I think I have most of these on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! You'll have to let me know what you think of them. :)

      Delete