Sunday, June 22, 2014

Author Influence-J.R.R. Tolkien


There can be no doubt that when it comes to fantasy there is no one greater than Tolkien. The author of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and many other lesser known books of Middle Earth. I fell in love with Tolkien's work as soon as I read it, and I fell in love with hobbits. Ordinary creatures, capable of extraordinary things. A people very fond of food and comfort, but unshakable in adversity, even when the fate of the entire world rests on their shoulders. We can all learn something from hobbits, we are all capable of extraordinary things, as long as we never give up. If a little hobbit can get the one ring from Hobbiton to Mordor, and then write a book about it, then you can finish writing your book. 

“Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.” -The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm on the opposite side from everybody else on this issue. I've never liked Tolkien's writing style much. I guess he influenced me by showing me what I wanted to try and avoid.

    Your story on TWOS was amazing by the way. I voted for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess not everybody likes his style, and that's okay. At least you learned something from him though, even if you didn't enjoy his writing style.

      Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
    2. I think it might be because I'm more character driven and he always seemed more plot driven to me. And his paragraphs are like nine million pages long lol.

      Welcome!!

      Delete
    3. Interesting thought, I'm probably more character driven as well. Yeah they are a bit long... I wonder how much of it is just the way that people wrote when he was around though.

      Delete
    4. It could be just the style of his time I suppose. Haha I think part of the problem was I always wanted more of Strider/Aaragorn and I never got enough to satisfy me XP

      Delete
    5. Haha! His cast of characters was probably too big for that. At least he didn't kill him off in the end though. :)

      Delete