Wednesday, September 10, 2014

YWAM


Hey everyone, sorry for being absent from this blog for so long. I've started at least seven different "I'm back, sorry" posts each one beginning with a different form of "I'm not dead, I've just been busy." While that's true I haven't been so busy that I couldn't drop a note or two to let you guys know what I've been up to, and I'm sorry about that. 

You see, in a week and a half I'm going to be going to DTS (Discipleship Training School) with YWAM (Youth with a Mission). YWAM is an international, interdenominational Christian mission agency. Their mission statement is to know God, and make Him known. For over fifty years they have been mobilizing young adults to help meet the needs, and minister to, hurting people all around the world. DTS is a five month training school divided into two parts. The first three months is called the lecture phase. During that time the students learn more about God, the Bible, and sharing the Gospel, as well as getting to know their fellow students. The last two months of the school is called the outreach and it takes place in another country, helping the people there through service work, and evangelism. You can check out their website here if you would like more information about it.

I'm leaving on the 20th of this month, and will be there till February. So these past weeks that I've neglected this blog I've been stressing out about leaving for five months to a place I've never been before. I'm very much a homebody and an introvert at heart so leaving my home to go to a place I've never been to before, to live with a bunch of people I haven't met yet, is going to be quite a stretch. I've always fantasized about having an adventure like all the characters in my favorite books, but now that I'm on the verge of my own adventure, it doesn't seem all that appealing, just really scary and uncomfortable. Honestly I'd much rather stay at home and hide under my blankets away from all responsibilities, I guess I know how Bilbo Baggins felt now.

You might ask me, "Why are you going if you don't really want to?" and that's actually a pretty good question. You see, God told me to go on YWAM. I don't know if you really believe that God speaks to people nowadays, but he does, and I heard him tell me to go. So even though I'm pretty scared, nervous, and would prefer to just stay where I am, I know that God wants the best for me, and that He's always right. So I'm walking in Faith even though I honestly would prefer not to.

I'm not sure exactly what type of schedule I will have once I'm at DTS but I hope to continue posting on this blog twice a week, though I may have to drop it down to only once a week, we'll see, and I'll keep you updated. If you have any questions please leave them below, I always love hearing from you! I also want to thank everyone who has voted on the blog poll I posted a while ago, your votes really do help me figure out what kind of content I should continue to post. If you haven't voted yet I invite you to vote on the poll in the sidebar. Have a wonderful day everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! I have some acquaintances who went to YWAM and really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really? Well I hope I have as good of an experience as they did. :)

      Delete
  2. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, Andrea! *gives hug* I'm glad you're following his Path, even though you feel you'd rather not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ghost! *returns hug* It's hard, but I'm still going. :)

      Delete
  3. What an exciting journey! I'm so excited to hear about it! When I was younger, I found I was very much wanting to see and experience everything. When I was 18, me and my best friend went to Ireland for three weeks alone. It was an amazing experience. Going on a limb and really stretching yourself can be so beneficial - it's awesome that you're so convicted on where God wants you. Trust Him! He is going to take care of you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's really neat, Stefanie, I bet it was a lot of fun in Ireland! Thanks for the encouraging words, they help a lot. :)

      Delete