Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Character Development Series-Treasure Map and Key


What would your character do if they found a treasure map and a key? Would they throw it away in disgust? Hide it away for their future grandchildren to discover? Sell it? Tell all their friends about it in excitement? Start organizing a treasure hunt? Or leave immediately? 

How your character reacts to everything, strange things, small things, good things, bad things, everything, tells you just a little bit more about them. You want to eventually get to the point where you know your character almost better than you know yourself. When you can instantly know how your character would react and what they would say. Then writing your book will be a piece of cake.

Don't forget to comment below, I'd love to learn more about your characters right along with you!

7 comments:

  1. Okay, I think I'm gonna use Blade for this one since he's the one I've been writing on lately.
    If Blade found a treasure map and key he would probably be in a battle between his curiosity to see where it led, and his overwhelming desire to go home and have some peace and quiet. At this point, he would probably keep it, and not go looking, and most likely not tell anyone for quite a while. Eventually though, he'd get restless again and take off to find what's hidden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to read Blade, I don't know much about it, except a few things that you posted on your blog, but it looks really good! :)

      Nadasa would probably ignore it, even though she would be curious, she has a different quest on her mind at the moment. If Jastin was less busy he probably would take off to find the treasure at once.

      Delete
    2. I'm trying to get it done XP I thought I'd be done weeks ago, but alas, scenes keep revealing themselves to be necessary. I will need a few beta readers for it eventually though. Thanks! :)

      Cool :) I like those names XP

      Delete
    3. I volunteer as beta reader!!! :D Seriously though if you want me to read it I would love to, and give you feedback. If you're not comfortable with that though I understand.

      I know what you mean, I only have three chapters left to write in The Paths of Thyme, and I also thought I'd be done several weeks ago. It just hasn't worked out that way though... And that's okay, as long as it gets done sometime. :)

      Thanks :)

      Delete
    4. You can read it if you want :D I always just threaten my beta readers with some form of fantasy harm if they steal my stuff and then I feel much better about it all and things move on nicely ^_^

      Oh I see. Why is the end always the hardest?? It's like "You're finally done! Just finish it already!" Lol, for me anyway.
      Right on. As long as it's done I don't care if I'm a week or so off.

      Delete
    5. Yay! I promise I won't steal your stuff :) I already have way too many ideas waiting to be written anyways.

      I don't know, maybe because it's hard to accept that you are at the end of a project that you've been working on forever.

      Delete
    6. Haha, no worries. I trust you. I know right? That's what I tell people who are worried about that.

      Yeah, that could be it.

      Delete