Sunday, May 18, 2014

Author Influence-Christopher Paolini

For the next few weeks I will be focusing on ten different authors who have influenced me and my writing. I decided to start with Christopher Paolini because he is the author who inspired me to start writing.

Image Source

Before I read Eragon I had only really read the classics. I hadn't read much fantasy before then either. I had read "The Chronicles of Narnia" "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" of course, but nothing like Eragon. I was amazed at the amount of twists the plot had, it was like nothing I had ever read. It was such an exciting and intriguing book that it made me hungry for more fantasy. When I finished the first three books, (Note: Inheritance was not yet published when I started the series) and discovered that Christopher Paolini was only 17 when he published Eragon, I was amazed. I thought: "If he can do it, then why can't I?"

That was four years ago, now I am only three chapters away from finishing my first novel, and have dozens of other ideas clamoring to be written. I have written poetry, and short stories. I have edited and slaved over my manuscript for countless hours. I have completed NaNoWriMo, and attended a writers conference. I have created numerous characters, and discovered whole worlds in my head. I have found a new way of looking at the world, and am inspired by everything I see. I have found life and joy in writing, and I don't intend to stop. 

I have discovered that I am a writer, all because I asked myself "Why can't I?" and I couldn't come up with a good enough reason to stop me.

Image Source

5 comments:

  1. CP inspired me too! Granted, I had always been writing little 'books' since I was little, but he really influenced my style of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I feel like such a real blogger, I actually have a comment from someone that I'm not related to! :D

      Same here, I had written a few short stories, and I would always come up with lots of crazy stories to tell my older sister at bedtime, but Paolini really inspired me to write a full length novel.

      Delete
  2. Haha, I know the feeling! I got my first comment a few months ago and I literally had friends emailing me to tell me that someone besides them had commented and to get over here and read it!

    Sad to say I think my first full length novel was basically about Murtagh and me with a few different names thrown in, but it definitely did get me started, and now my novels aren't such nasty little copycats XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, my very first idea for The Paths of Thyme was basically a slightly different version of Eragon. I changed a few names and genders but the whole thing was still very close to Eragon. since then it's morphed into something completely different and hardly recognizable from what it was at first.

      Delete
    2. Oh that's encouraging. I haven't gone back to mine for years, but I still love a lot of the original characters (the ones that weren't Murtagh and me XP) and I'd like to go back and do some re-writes on it so its totally original.

      Delete