Saturday, May 31, 2014

Author Influence-Beatrix Potter

I'll be camping with my family until next wednesday so I thought I would post my sunday post a day early, I'll see you all when I get back! 

Beatrix Potter is the next author in my author influence series. You can check out the previous posts in the series about Christopher Paolini and Brian Jacques if you would like.

Image Source

When I was little one of my favorite books was the complete collection of tales by Beatrix Potter. I loved the illustrations, and the sweet and funny stories. My favorite story was "The Tale of Two Bad Mice" where two mice broke into a dollhouse. "The Tale of The Pie and the Patty-Pan" was another favorite of mine where a dog goes to visit her friend for tea and thinks she swallowed a patty pan. Those stories always made me smile. 

Image Source

I think those stories might have been the ones that inspired me to start telling stories to my older sister at bedtime. I would make up fabulous adventures about chicks, bunnies, hamsters, and all sorts of other small creatures. Eventually I decided to start writing down my stories, If you would like to read the first story I ever wrote down you can read it here.

Image Source

When I got older I appreciated Beatrix Potter's beautiful illustrations even more than I had as a child. They made me want to illustrate my own books. Of course I realized that I'd need a lot of practice, but maybe someday I could do it, I told myself. So I practiced, and I still do, discovering my own style, both in writing and in drawing. I haven't figured everything out yet, but I don't intend to give up. When I learned more about Beatrix Potter's personal history, and the many struggles she faced,  it made me even more determined not to give up. She didn't so I won't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment