Sunday, September 20, 2015

10 Things I Learned From Summer Camp



Back at the start of the summer I posted that I got a job as a camp counselor, and you may have been wondering how that went. Well let's just say it was pretty crazy, and also a lot of fun. But at the same time it was difficult, as working with people always is. I learned quite a bit over those few months, about myself, and how to deal with others, which were my main goals going into that job. Thinking back on it. I managed to narrow those things down to a list of 10. 

So here are 10 things I learned from summer camp:

1. Being friendly and kind reaps countless rewards.

2. Sometimes you just need to take a break. Just because you can do more doesn't always mean you should. Be careful or you'll burn yourself out.

3. Don't forget to smile! Even if you don't feel like it, fake it till you make it. Smiling can actually change your mood believe it or not.

4. Don't take yourself too seriously, loosen up a little. Laugh, be a little silly sometimes. It makes life a lot more fun. 

5. Art draws people to you, don't be afraid to share it.

6. Never ever just accept someone else's opinion of another person without getting to know that person yourself. Everyone has biases and the only way you'll know the truth is if you make your own judgement.

7. Sometimes you find real gems of people and you should never let them go.

8. You never know how people really feel about you until you until you get to know them more.

9. Communication is key in everything! Without it, nothing works.

10. Never give up. Just keep moving forward. It's okay to ask for help, there's nothing wrong with that.


Don't forget to comment! I always love to hear from you! What about you? Did you learn anything over the summer? What did you do? Have you ever been a camp counselor before? What kinds of things did you discover through that experience? Did you find any of these things helpful?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you learned quite a few things that can translate to just life in general. I always try to keep on a smile, I think being a counselor would be hard, but I bet you were great at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's true, I was able to learn a lot of things that I can translate to my everyday life which made my summer very worthwhile. Aw thanks :)

      Delete
  2. These are some really cool insights thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found them helpful. :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Ah, so many good points! Especially #6, it's an important thing to know. I've never been a camp counselor before (or been to camp, for that matter), but I can imagine it would be crazy. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I learned all of these through personal experience, and sometimes it really wasn't fun, but when it was all said and done I was really glad I did it. People can tell you things and you can listen to their advice, but it's completely different when you live through it yourself. Crazy but fun, maybe you should try it out sometime. It's a good experience. :)

      Delete